Saturday, July 1, 2017

Year 7, Day 182: Deuteronomy 31

Theological Commentary: Click Here

My first take on this chapter is one of sadness.  Here is Moses, faithful servant to God.  He stood up to Pharaoh.  He faithfully crossed the Red Sea.  He went up to Mount Sinai.  He dealt with the people in the wilderness for forty years.  And now he simply passes off the reigns to Joshua right at the great moment of triumph.

However, Moses himself doesn’t seem all that sad.  Granted, this is writing and not a live speech, so it is hard to tell how it was delivered.  Still, Moses doesn’t seem upset in this passage.  He is not wrestling with God.  He is not resisting the will of the Father.  He is doing his part.

This is the wise perspective of Moses that I long to learn.  Moses is in tune with God so much that it truly isn’t about him at all.  Moses is just playing his part in God’s plan.  When Moses’ time is up, Moses knows that God’s plan isn’t about to stop with him.  God’s plan will carry on for generations.  Moses is simply handing off the baton to God’s overarching plan.

What a phenomenal perspective to have.  I believe this is the true core of humbleness right here.  We can genuinely be humble when we see ourselves as a simple piece of God’s overarching plan, because we are no longer concerned with our own perspective.  If I am not trying to make life about me, but rather about God, then then is no need for my pride, hubris, arrogance, self-centeredness, or egotism to get in the way!

There are so many things that I love about Moses.  Perhaps one of the best is that we know that in the end, Moses does get it right.  But remember that it takes him 120 years.  That gives me hope.  One day, I may be able to be like Moses and intuitively focus on God’s will and cast my will off completely.  Some days I already do it well.  Other days, not so well.  But I’m also not 120 years practiced, either!

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment