Thursday, May 18, 2017

Year 7, Day 138: Numbers 23

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Once more, we get a great perspective on humanity.  Balak has bought Balaam’s attention.  He thinks that he can also buy his allegiance.  This is an incredibly true thought with regard to human beings.  People in power think that they can buy their way.  People with things to offer others try to use what they have to buy their heart’s desire.  Balak absolutely thinks that he can buy Balaam’s words.

I was pretty harsh against Balaam yesterday, although I wasn’t any harsher on Balaam than I was on myself.  The neat thing about today’s reading is that we see that Balaam is absolutely teachable.  He makes his mistakes in allowing himself to come to Balak.  But he does not allow himself to be completely sold out.  He comes, but he is not for sale.  Balaam does go where Balak leads him, but Balaam only prophesies what God tells Him to speak.

I give Balaam a lot of credit.  While he is not always lifted up as the greatest example, I hope that in my times of temptation I will remember to be loyal to the Father.  Even when I bring those moments of temptation down upon myself because of my poor choices, I hope that when push comes to shove I will stand upon my convictions.

Before I leave, I want to return back to Balak.  Do you hear what Balak does when Balaam doesn’t give him his way in first blessing?  Balak takes Balaam to a place where Balaam cannot see the whole of the people.  What Balak is trying to do is to manipulate the circumstances to his favor so that Balaam will be more inclined to see things Balak’s way than see them according to God’s perspective.  This is important to see as well.  People don’t often take it well when they don’t get their way.  They will manipulate life around them to get their way.  Yes, if I’m not careful I’ll do it, too.  I’m just as human as the next guy.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment