Sunday, May 7, 2017

Year 7, Day 127: Numbers 12

Theological Commentary: Click Here


In this chapter we see the true downside of religious people.  When human beings care more about absolutes than they care about grace, we end with Miriam and Aaron in this passage.  Don’t get me wrong.  Miriam and Aaron are just trying to be pure.  Their heart is in the pursuit of purity. But they are absolutely wrong.  When we are more interested in being religious and less interested in being spiritual, there is always trouble ahead.

Aaron and Miriam reject Moses because of the nationality of his wife.  Don’t forget that Moses’ father-in-law was a Midianite who feared the Lord.  He wasn’t a part of Abraham’s offspring, but that doesn’t mean that he didn’t know God.  We can also assume that Moses’ wife grew up knowing the Lord as well.  However, they forget this fact because they are too focused on the literal.  They can only see that she is not of Abraham’s lineage. They see the obvious, missing God entirely.

God comes to the rescue of Moses and his wife.  Miriam is cursed with leprosy for a week.  In this, God is merciful.  He could have killed her.  He doesn’t.  He shows Miriam grace, even when she is guilty.

This is the thing about people.  God is gracious to us over and over.  He lavishes us with His grace.  We deserve His judgment, and He makes life possible.  Yet, how do we repay Him?  So often we are interested in judging other people instead of looking in towards their character when God makes every effort to give our inner character an opportunity to become more like His!

I find this battle to be one of the fiercest within me.  I am fully aware of God’s grace in my life.  I am also fully aware of my propensity to judge the people around me.  At the same time, I make rash judgments based on what I see, not what I experience and know about a person’s character.  This is a battle I constantly fight.  Just when I think that I’ve won, I find new places in my life that I am quick to judge based on my experience and uninterested in truly knowing.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment