Sunday, April 2, 2017

Year 7, Day 92: Leviticus 3

Theological Commentary: Click Here


I’ve always found it odd that this chapter is called the Peace Offering chapter.  After all, I doubt that the sacrificed animal felt very peaceful about being sacrificed.  But then again, that is my very modern lens coming through.  It is a lens through which I am allowed to see animals more as pets and less as a means of survival.  Our modernity often gets in the way of understanding God because we so readily rely upon our human inventions for survival and not God’s provision.

It is important that we understand that this chapter is properly titled, though.  This is the peace offering.  This is not the mandatory offering for atonement.  This isn’t an offering given to God to make up for something done wrong.  This is an offering made to God because we would simply like to give something to God.

In a sense, this is an offering of gratitude.  This is an offering made to recognize that we are even able to be at peace with God in the first place!  This is an offering that is made to remember that we are participants in a relationship in which we have no business belonging.  We are at peace with God because He brings peace to us, not because we do anything of an importance to deserve it.

In those days, I don’t think this was an easy thing to forget.  I think that it was hard to look past how human beings cannot attain God’s righteousness on their own.  In today’s age, however, I think we have made it all too easy to look past the human inability to be righteous.  We like to say that “God loves me the way that I am.” 

I think this is wrong.  If God was okay with me the way that I am, then there was no need to send Jesus to die for anything.  God loves me in spite of who I am.  God loves me because of who He is.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment