Saturday, April 22, 2017

Year 7, Day 112: Leviticus 23

Theological Commentary: Click Here


As I read this chapter, I had one overarching thought.  This chapter is about remembrance.  It is about remembrance on many levels, but it is fundamentally about remembrance.  God desires His people to have feasts – or holy days – because it is important to remember.

One level of remembrance is to make sure that we don’t forget what the Lord has done for us.  Isn’t that a challenging task?  I find that I am all too quick to forget how God has been there for me in the past.  I call on Him when I am in need, and He has always been there!  The next time I am in need I rush to the Lord in a panic, however, completely forgetting how He has been there for me every single time in the past.

A second level of remembrance is to give thanks to Him for what He is currently doing.  This is why we tithe.  This is why the Lord calls us to give of the firstfruits of the harvest.  God has His hand in all that is currently going on, we should remember to thank Him for what is in in the middle of doing.  We should remember not just what He has done for us, but intentionally look for how He continues to bless us.

A third level of remembrance is simply to remember who the Lord is.  We need to remember the character of the Lord.  We need to look for ways to bring His character into our character.  We should be looking to learn from the character of the Lord so that we become more like Him and less like our natural, sinful nature.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment