Monday, March 20, 2017

Year 7, Day 79: Exodus 30


Theological Commentary: Click Here




As I read over this chapter, I was drawn to the fact that there are certain elements that we are not to duplicate.  In other words, there are certain things that are a part of worship that belong in the context of worship.  We are not to cheapen them by removing them and using them elsewhere.  In the chapter, we see the examples of the incense and perfume.  Whoever duplicates these will be cut off from the people.



At first, I found these assertions as though they made sense.  After all, doesn’t it make sense that there are certain things that are sacred when we come into the presence of the Lord?  Shouldn’t there be some things that we reserve for the worship of God?



On the other hand, there is a part of me that is always quick to assert that Jesus has made all things new.  He has made all things acceptable.  We hear this much when Jesus comes to Peter atop Cornelius’ house.



There doesn’t need to be tension between these ideas.  When we say that Jesus has made all things clean, it doesn’t mean that He is saying that He has made all things mundane.  He has made all things clean.  We are not to be concerned about our ritual purity because Jesus has consecrated us in a way that the sacrifices of oxen and sheep could not.



In this I actually find challenge.  The challenge is to live in the world in a way that continues to honor the sacred.  How do I remember that I am a priest as I go about my daily life?  How do I remember that I am supposed to be living with a sacred purpose yet living and serving among the people of the world?  This is the challenge of God.  We have been redeemed.  We have been purified.  All things can be ours.  But we don’t need to make everything mundane in doing so.  We are to be sacred, and help make the world around us sacred, too.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment