Friday, March 17, 2017

Year 7, Day 76: Exodus 27


Theological Commentary: Click Here



Notice that today we shift from the inner workings of the tabernacle to the courtyard.  The courtyard is accessible to all.  This is also where the sacrifices happen upon the altar for burnt offerings.  Sin is redeemed in the places where all have access.



The inner workings of the tabernacle are closed off and hidden.  The places about which we learned yesterday are interior, hidden behind curtains, and closed off to the people.  Only certain people with special permission can go in there.



This has great symbolism to our life.  First of all, our sin is worldly.  That doesn’t mean to say that our sin is external.  Certainly not!  All of my sin begins within.  But all of my sin is worldly.  My sin affects the world around me.  People have access to my sinful nature.  Therefore, people should be able to see my redemption as well.  People should be able to experience God redeeming what is broken about me.



Now for my second thought.  While everyone should be able to see witness to my redemption, not everyone will see the full working of God within me.  Only the priests, who had special permission to enter the tabernacle, could go in and experience more of God’s presence within the tabernacle.  So it is with me.  While everyone around me should be able to experience God’s hand working in and through me, only those who take the time to truly get to know me will also know the deep workings of how God is working within me.  The fruit of God’s work should be seen by all.  The means of God’s work is a mystery within us.



This is why relationship, discipleship, and mentoring are so important.  We need closeness to see how God is at work in others.  We need closeness to truly reveal how God is at work within ourselves.  There are times and places for both the external faith open to all and the internal faith revealed to those who desire to seek it.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment