Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Year 7, Day 74: Exodus 25


Theological Commentary: Click Here




I made the mistake of reading what I wrote about this chapter 7 years ago.  When I say mistake, I don’t mean I did something wrong.  What I mean is that I got myself all riled up once more!  I find it fascinating that a simple passage about constructing worship implements can have such a dramatic effect on my person.



What is it that got me riled up again?  Let’s remember that this account in Exodus is the account of God establishing His ideal condition of worship.  What is it that God desires?  God desires a tabernacle.  In other words, He desires something moveable.  He desires something that can be picked up and changed in terms of location.  In fact, as we read through the temple implements, do you notice how much emphasis there is on the fact that the temple implements need to be able to move as well?  After the fact that they are to be overlaid in gold, the second most important quality is that they can be safely carried around!



Why does God desire this?  I think the answer is very simple.  God is always on the move.  God’s hand is at work all throughout the world, where He is accepted, invited, or even necessary!  God is not static.  God is not something to be contained in a box.  God is dynamic and fluid and His work is even more so.



Why, then, do we build edifices of worship?  Why do we build complexes that testify to the greatness of the people who gather there?  Why do we build grand facades that need to be maintained and cared for?



I think the reason is because that is what we want.  Human beings like stability.  We don’t care much for change.  We like to feel important.  We like to feel like we belong to something significant.  We like to leave a lasting imprint on the world around us.



God wants to be flexible.  God wants His people – His priests – to be able to take ministry anywhere.  God doesn’t need something grand and permanent, we do!  Therefore, when it is God who asks for His place of worship to be build, He is the one who asks for a moveable tent, a moveable holy altar, and a moveable reminder of His grace.  That doesn’t mean that these things are cheap or meaningless.  It means that they are flexible and capable of managing change.



It does make me wonder about our modern conception of the worship of God.  Are we flexible, or are we building edifices?  Are we looking to go where God’s hand is at work, or are we building permanent presences in the area of the world where we want to be?  Are we taking our lead from God and looking to Him for direction on where to go or are we dictating our terms to Him?



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment