Friday, March 10, 2017

Year 7, Day 69: Exodus 20


Theological Commentary: Click Here




Obviously, Exodus 20 is known for the Ten Commandments.  There are some really good comments about them if you would like to read them.  My commentary to which I’ve linked above has some good thoughts, too.



Instead, I want to talk about the unusual position of worship that we see portrayed in this passage.  Do you see the people’s reaction when they actually see God interacting with Moses on the mountaintop?  They back off in fear.  They beg Moses to be an intermediary between them and God.  In truth, when the people see what relationship with God is really like, they want to back away.  They don’t actually seem like they want anything to do with a personal relationship with God.



I think there are several reasons for this behavior.  First of all, relationship with God is quite scary.  The people see Moses dealing with lightning and thunder.  They see a human reason to fear.  I think this is reality.  When people see someone who truly has a meaningful relationship with God, they see things that makes them afraid.



Of course, this naturally leads to a second reason.  Meaningful relationship with God changes us.  It forces us to live differently.  Look at the Ten Commandments.  If we read those words and apply them to our lives, we will be challenged.  It will take serious effort to put aside our own selfish nature and abide by those commandments!  When people think about relationship with God, they often think about it in terms of what they can get for themselves from an omnipotent God.  But then reality sets in and we realize what we have to give as well.  This often causes us to back away and distance ourselves.  Sadly, it is all too easy to have a less challenging life if we follow the example of the Hebrew people in this chapter and ask to keep God at arm’s length.



I think this is why we begin and end this chapter talking about idolatry.  It is right there at the top of the Ten Commandments.  It’s also the first thing that God says to Moses after the people demonstrate their fear.  Human beings need to worship something.  We all do.  Some of us worship God, or even a god.  Other people choose to worship people, such as celebrities or athletes.  Some people live like they are worshipping their children.  Other people choose to worship material possessions like bank accounts or vehicles.  But the reality is that human beings need to worship something, we all do.



God’s point is that in our need to worship something, we have to be careful to not turn to idolatry.  We are idolatrous because it is far easier!  The truth is that the worship of my bank account places far less demands upon me than the worship of the true God.  The worship of a celebrity that I can never know places far less demands upon me than the worship of the true God.  Idolatry is the easy way out.



The unfortunate part is that in the lessening of the challenge, we also get a lessening of the reward.  When I cut myself off of the challenge of God, I don’t see maturity developing within me.  When I put God at arm’s length, I don’t allow Him into my life to analyze, scrutinize, cut, and change things.  When I take the easy way out and worship the stuff in my life instead of the true God, my life becomes simpler but with far less true reward.



That’s a pattern that I see in the Hebrew people all throughout the Old Testament.  God’s chosen people time and time again put God at arm’s length and choose other things.  In doing so, the deprive themselves of His presence.  They fall away and mire themselves in a culture of self-centeredness.  It is a sad reality that we see beginning to play itself out even as the Law is first given to them here in this chapter.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment