Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Year 7, Day 67: Exodus 18


Theological Commentary: Click Here




This chapter really wants us to focus on the choices that we make regarding the ways that we spend our time and the activities in which we involve ourselves.  In this chapter we see Moses feeling like he has to be the hero and spend his time being a judge over every argument and dispute among the Hebrew people.  Because he is the leader, he feels responsible for the community getting it right. Because of this, Moses spends his whole day being absorbed into the negative aspects of the community.  He risks being burned out and becoming bitter in his leadership.



Jethro comes in and suggests that Moses do some delegation.  He says that Moses need not handle all of the disputes, just the ones that common wisdom cannot solve.  Jethro suggests that Moses train some reliable men to handle the simple cases.  In this way, Moses can still hear the difficult ones but also have time in the day to fill other more enjoyable roles in the community.  This will enable him to avoid burnout.



I’ve had an experience recently in my classroom with a similar situation.  A few days back, my students were working on a math project.  They were translating, reflecting, and rotating images all over the paper.  At one point, one of my young men in the class had finished their work and turned it in to be graded.  A few minutes later, I hear the other students in the class calling for his help on parts they didn’t understand.  The next thing I know, this student is bouncing from student to student, much like I do every day, providing help on various elements of the project.



As I sat there reflecting on the incident, I realized that I had a choice to make.  I could be embittered because my students were no longer needing me.  I could have made it all about me and forced my way into the situation.  Fortunately, that choice never once seemed like a real option to choose.



Instead, I basked in the joy of what I was seeing.  Here was a student largely imitating behavior that he had seen me do over and over.  I listened to his explanations and they were spot on perfect.  I reveled in knowing that he had developed enough mastery in the material that he could not just complete it himself but also guide other people through the process. 



I sat back and realized that this is the core of discipleship.  Discipleship is modelling and then releasing people to imitate and succeed.  Discipleship is about training other people to do what is necessary so that you can focus on where you are truly needed.  In that moment in the classroom, the place that I was needed was sitting in the corner, observing this young student take on the role of mathematics mentor while teaching other students what he had to offer.  It could have been about me the teacher.  But it wasn’t.  It was about letting the student rise to moment and shine.



As we return to Jethro, this is really at the core of what he is suggesting.  As Moses shares the burden, other people are given the opportunity to rise up and shine.  Moses then has the opportunity to sit back and realize how well these people have been trained.  It frees him of the burden of community and allows him to instead see the community for what it has to offer.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment