Monday, March 6, 2017

Year 7, Day 65: Exodus 16


Theological Commentary: Click Here




There are some really neat talking points all throughout this chapter.  Let’s begin with the manna.  I love the people’s reaction to it when they see it.  They call it manna, which literally means, “What is this?”  They’ve never encountered anything like it in the past.  Sometimes God’s provision can be like this.  We don’t know what it is.  We can’t predict its coming.  Even when it comes, we’re not sure what to make of it at first because it is so unexpected and unpredictable.



Of course, there is another unusual element to the manna.  No matter how much a person gathered, whether much or little, it was enough.  I am surprised by how often this is true of God and His provision.  How often have I wondered if we would have enough at a meal, or have enough money for the month, or have enough time in the day?  Yet, I always have.  God’s provision has always been enough for me.  I don’t often have a gross excess.  I hardly ever experience shortfall, much less a gross shortfall – unless it is because of my own intentional shortsightedness or stupidity.  When I am looking to God and living as He desires, I have always had enough.



Then, of course, there are the people who try to outthink God.  They gather what they need for multiple days on the same day.  They try and take too much.  They refuse to lean on God’s provision and began to do their own thing.  Their plans go awry quickly.  The fruit of their efforts because to stink, mold, and fill with maggots.  Again, I know this experience.  When I go off God’s plan and stop listening to Him and His calling, when I start to do my own thing, my plans start to stink and my life goes awry.  Often, it happens pretty quickly, too!



In the end, this is a chapter that raises questions for us about the provision of God.  Are we content with God’s provision?  Are we willing to trust in God’s provision?  Are we willing to be humble and obedient regarding God’s provision?  These are all important questions for us to consider.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment