Friday, February 3, 2017

Year 7, Day 34: Genesis 35

Theological Commentary: Click Here


When I think about Genesis 35, I think about grace and mercy.  I also think about God’s perspective and vision.  Each of these topics leads me to think about hope.

God’s grace and mercy can be seen in several ways.  First of all, we know that Jacob didn’t have the best track record for righteousness when it came to family.  Yet, God looks past that.  God forgives.  God creates something new in Jacob.  God takes Jacob and molds him and shapes him.  That’s what God can do in us, too.  The truth is that we have God’s grace and mercy because he believes in us more than we do, certainly more than we deserve.

This leads me to think more broadly about God’s perspective and vision.  God sees us through His grand perspective, which allows him to be able to embrace us with grace and love.  Because His vision is so grand, He can avoid getting caught in the moment.  In truth, this is a great lesson that I’ve learned throughout the ages.  If I want to be gracious and merciful to people, I need to be able to see beyond the moment and look ahead into what could become through grace and mercy.  Perspective and vision make grace and mercy easier.

Naturally, this leads me to hope.  God looks to Jacob, changes his name, and then reminds him that kings will come from him.  God makes a guy who steals from his brother into a king-maker.  If God can do that in Jacob, He can do that in each of us as well.  He can take us in our dark hours and bring us into a better place.  If that isn’t a reason for hope, I don’t know what is!

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment